Re: [SQL] 8K limit ... - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Ken Mort
Subject Re: [SQL] 8K limit ...
Date
List pgsql-sql
I just asked this recently. Had to go to the hackers list to ask. They
said it could be changed at compile time. Here is their reply.

> > There is an option that can be set at compile time to set the block
> > size from 8k to something like 32 or 64K (not sure which).
>
> I think it is 32k. (tuple offset in a block is limited to 15 bits)

I haven't done it yet but I found a define for 'BLCKSZ' in:
src/include/config.h
which is set to 8192. This should probably be changed to 32K
or more specifically 32768 for 32K block size.
My post generated some comments, speculation and tests in the
hackers list so you may want to look at the archives for that list
starting feb 15, 1999.

> I'm using PostgreSQL 6.3.2.  It seems that PostgreSQL has a record size
> of 8 K..
>
> My problem is that I have some records that contain a  text field called
> DESCRIPTION.  Some of these descriptions will be in excess of 25K.
>
> Someone on another list said that there is a way to compile the newer
> versions of POSTGRESQL to allow larger block sizes.
>
> Of course the person hasn't bothered answering my question as to where
> this information is other than look in the docs.  Well, I have looked in
> the docs and I can't find it anywhere.
>
> Does anyone know how to compile POSTGRESQL for these larger blocks or
> would I just be better off using MySQL?

Regards,
Kenneth R. Mort  <kenmort@mort.port.net>
TreeTop Research