Re: [HACKERS] Re: [SQL] SQL-Query 2 get primary key - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Oliver Elphick
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Re: [SQL] SQL-Query 2 get primary key
Date
List pgsql-sql
"D'Arcy" "J.M." Cain wrote:
  >Thus spake Marc Grimme
  >> if I create a table like this:
  >> CREATE TABLE test (
  >>    id decimal(3) primary key,
  >>    name varchar(32));
  >>
  >> how can I ask postgres which is the primary key from table test?
  >
  >SELECT  pg_class.relname, pg_attribute.attname
  >    FROM pg_class, pg_attribute, pg_index
  >    WHERE pg_class.oid = pg_attribute.attrelid AND
  >        pg_class.oid = pg_index.indrelid AND
  >        pg_index.indkey[0] = pg_attribute.attnum AND
  >        pg_index.indisprimary = 't';
  >
  >That lists all the primary keys in your database.  Add a "WHERE pg_class
  >= 'test'" clause to get the specific table.

I tried this and got 0 rows.  Every value of pg_index.indisprimary is
false, although I have nearly 100 tables created with primary keys.
(This is with 6.4.2)

     "For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a
      shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the
      trump of God; and the dead in Christ shall rise first;
      Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up
      together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in
      the air; and so shall we ever be with the Lord."
                          I Thessalonians 4:16,17