Re: [SQL] keeping OID's when copying table - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Michael Olivier
Subject Re: [SQL] keeping OID's when copying table
Date
Re: [SQL] keeping OID's when copying table  (Bruce Momjian <maillist@candle.pha.pa.us>)
Re: [SQL] keeping OID's when copying table  (Bruce Momjian <maillist@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-sql
---Bruce Momjian <maillist@candle.pha.pa.us> wrote:

> Thank you for pointing out my error.  It should be:
>
>         CREATE TABLE new_table (mycol int);
>         INSERT INTO new_table (oid, mycol) SELECT oid, mycol FROM
old_table;

> I have updated the FAQ.

Hmm... now I don't get an error, but the oid isn't preserved. This is
running 6.3.2 on RH Linux:

dmdemo=> CREATE TABLE new_table (mycol int);
CREATE
dmdemo=> CREATE TABLE old_table (mycol int);
CREATE
dmdemo=> insert into old_table values (33);
INSERT 837643 1
dmdemo=> select oid from old_table;
   oid
------
837643
(1 row)

dmdemo=> INSERT INTO new_table (oid, mycol) SELECT oid, mycol FROM
dmdemo-> old_table;
INSERT 837644 1
dmdemo=> select oid from new_table;
   oid