Error msg - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Bill Brandt
Subject Error msg
Date
List pgsql-sql
I'm running 6.3 right now... I've been having a problem that results in

PQexec() -- Request was sent to backend, but backend closed the channel
before responding.
        This probably means the backend terminated abnormally before or
while processing the request.

It occurs anytime someone who does not have the proper permissions
attempts to create something in the database.  This particular one was
caused by the root user attempting to create an index.  The problem with
it is, that the name of the index is now assigned to something that
doesn't exist.  I later logged in as postgres (the users postgres is
running under) and attempted to execute the same command.  I get the
following error:

ERROR:  cannot open cntrsindx

If I change the name of the index slightly, it works.  I don't know if
this is a problem in 6.3 that is fixed in 6.4 or what.  I was just
wondering if I'm missing something that will free up those entries that
"half exist".

--
Bill Brandt
brandtwr@draaw.net                              http://www.draaw.net/