Re: [HACKERS] Postmaster dies with many child processes (spinlock/semget failed) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tatsuo Ishii
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Postmaster dies with many child processes (spinlock/semget failed)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>Hi,
>
>I sent the following message to the pgsql-general
>list on the 24th but haven't received any answers
>from PostgreSQL developers, only from other people
>who are experiencing the same problems.
>
>I would say the errors I am describing are quite
>serious and I was wondering whether there was any
>chance of them being addressed in the forthcoming
>6.5 release.

I don't think it's a PostgreSQL's problem.

[snip]

>Note that the 'no space left on device' is
>misleading as there is a minimum of 400 MB
>available on each file-system on the server.

No. that message does not talking about the space left on your
disk. You need to increase the shared memory size.

You want to have 100 backends? 6.4.2 has the hard limit of number of
backends as 64. You can change this by editing following line:

#define MaxBackendId 64            /* maximum number of backends        */

in src/include/storage/sinvaladt.h. make sure do gmake clean before
recompiling.

Also you might ran out the file table entries. I recommend you to
limit the number of descriptors available to each backend. Probably 15
is enough. You can do this by issuing the csh builtin limit command
before starting postmaster.
--
Tatsuo Ishii