Re: [HACKERS] new heap manager mmalloc - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [HACKERS] new heap manager mmalloc
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> Two things against it...
>
> First, its a Linux-ism...he's got it ported to Win and Linux, that's it...

Actually, our problem is not malloc itself.  Most Unix OS's have pretty
good malloc's, tuned to their OS.  The problem is the number of times we
call it.

Massimo's idea of having several alloc contexts, some of which supply
memory from a backend-managed pool is a good idea.  When I was working
on a SQL backend design, I thought this would be a very good way to go.
SQL databases have a nice end-of-transaction free-it-all point that can
make use of such a give-me-the-memory and don't worry about freeing it
until I am done with the transaction model.

Pennsylvania19026