Re: [HACKERS] drop before create in pg_dump - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Brook Milligan
Subject Re: [HACKERS] drop before create in pg_dump
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Brook Milligan <brook@trillium.NMSU.Edu> writes:  > pg_dump won't drop stuff before trying to create it; this makes
>dropping a single table (say) and recreating it difficult to automate  > since it is subject to error if all the stuff
doesn'tget dropped  > properly.  The following patch causes pg_dump to emit DROP ...  > statements prior to emitting
CREATE... statements.

  I think that ought to be driven by a switch to pg_dump ...  much of the time, I would *want* pg_dump's script to fail
if there's already an existing item of the given name.

A switch is fine.  Is there any concensus as to what it should be,
since the two that come to mind (-D and -d) are both used?

Cheers,
Brook