Re: [HACKERS] 6.4.2 HP-UX makefile problem? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tatsuo Ishii
Subject Re: [HACKERS] 6.4.2 HP-UX makefile problem?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I wrote:
> > Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii@sra.co.jp> writes:
> >> Here is a problem report from a HP-UX/11.0/cc user.
> >> src/makefiles/Makefile.hpux seems to lack:
> >> %.sl: %.o
> >>     $(LD) -b -o $@ $<
> >> This makes regression test failed. Please note that in 6.4
> >> Makefile.hpux has above.
>
> > I removed that rule from Makefile.hpux because I believed it to be
> > dead code --- src/Makefile.shlib is now responsible for causing
> > shared libs to be built correctly for each platform.
> > I have not seen any problems building on HPUX 9 or 10.  Can you
> > provide more info about the failure on HPUX 11?
>
> Sigh.  Tatsuo is quite right: I screwed up.  The 6.4.2 fileset
> *builds* OK on HPUX, but it will not run the regression test.
>
> The regression test includes building a shared library (two of 'em
> in fact) ... and those makefiles do not use Makefile.shlib.
> They rely on the port makefile to supply a default build rule for
> shared libraries.  So that rule is not quite as unused as I thought.
>
> I don't know how I missed this --- I must not have tried to run the
> regression tests after that set of changes, figuring that it was
> purely a build-time issue and if the system built then things were OK.
> Mea maxima culpa.
>
> For the moment I will re-insert the .sl rule into Makefile.hpux in
> both current and REL6_4 trees.  A better fix would be to make the
> various makefiles in src/test and contrib use Makefile.shlib ...

Thank you for taking care of that. BTW, the fix was actually suggested
by Kawakami, not by me (I don't have access to HP-UX at all). Please
remind this if you are going to write down in CVS log or somewhere.
---
Tatsuo Ishii