problem with arrays - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Massimo Dal Zotto
Subject problem with arrays
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

I'm trying to convert some tables from version 6.2 to 6.4.2 but I have
problems with arrays. The old table definition was:
 create table a (x int4,y char8,z char8[] );

Now, because the char8 datatype has been removed from postgres, I suppose
I should use char(8) or varchar(8):
 create table a (x int4,y char(8),z char(8)[] );

or
 create table a (x int4,y varchar(8),z varchar(8)[] );

but when I try the above definitions I get the following errors:

dz=> create table a (
dz->     x int4,
dz->     y char(8),
dz->     z char(8)[]
dz-> );
ERROR:  type name lookup of _bpchar failed

dz=> create table a (
dz->     x int4,
dz->     y varchar(8),
dz->     z varchar(8)[]
dz-> );
ERROR:  type name lookup of _varchar failed

Also trying to define the _varchar or _bpchar types fails, so it seems that
the conversion from 6.2 to 6.4 is not possible for many data types.
Any suggestion?

--
Massimo Dal Zotto

|  Massimo Dal Zotto               email: dz@cs.unitn.it               |
|  Via Marconi, 141                phone: ++39-0461534251              |
|  38057 Pergine Valsugana (TN)      www: http://www.cs.unitn.it/~dz/  |
|  Italy                             pgp: finger dz@tango.cs.unitn.it  |