Re: [GENERAL] Text Databases - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gene Selkov Jr.
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Text Databases
Date
List pgsql-general
> On Wed, 2 Dec 1998, Dustin Sallings wrote:
> >it sounds like you're looking at the wrong tool for a particular job.
>
> I am trying to get the best of both worlds. A good relational database
> system as well as being able to do text searches in mutiple fields.

Why wouldn't you just build a consolidated index from the data in your
multiple fields, then load it into postgres or any other database
engine?

Dustin made a good point: things you are contemplating to do are not
exactly the job of a database backend. Its all yours: the database you
are building is just as good as the index you design and implement in
the form of a relation or a set of relations, which postgres will take
care of.

--Gene