Re: [INTERFACES] ORB API - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Michael Robinson
Subject Re: [INTERFACES] ORB API
Date
RE: [INTERFACES] ORB API  ("Taral" <taral@cyberjunkie.com>)
List pgsql-interfaces
The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
>    PostgreSQL's preliminary Corba support will be based on mico,
>*mainly* because it is the only one that is 2.2 compliant...the others are
>all stuck at 2.0...or incomplete (orbit)...

You are aware, aren't you, that Mico has no support whatsoever for
interfacing to C code?  If PostgreSQL will base it's preliminary support on
Mico, then all the interface development will have to be done twice: once
in C, and then a C++ wrapper to mediate between PostgreSQL and Mico.

>By starting the development off using mico as a basis, we are implementing a
>2.2 model using a 'generic hook' method such that allowing ppl to use
>ORBit or OMNIorb or any other implementation will be simply a matter of
>modifying one central include file to map between libraries, as
>required...once the others catch up to mico...

I would recommend you look more closely into the role language mappings play
in the CORBA architecture, versus the role played by Inter-Orb bridges.

    -Michael Robinson