Re: [SQL] Turn autocommit off ? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [SQL] Turn autocommit off ?
Date
List pgsql-sql
> Andreas Joppich wrote:
>
> > Hi there !
> >
> > It has now happened several times that I wanted to rollback some
> > changes (like update, delete,...) I made to some tables. And since I
> > always forget to start a transaction, a simple ROLLBACK doesn't work
> > because of that quiet annoying autocommit in psql.
> >
> > I'd like to have automatically started a transaction which explicitly
> > must be termintated with commit or rollback.
> >
> > Is there a way to turn autocommit off ? If not, perhaps it could
> > be a feature for the todo list ?
> >
> > I'm currently using the cvs from last sunday on linux 2.1.119.
> >
> > Thanks for any hints.
> >
> > Andreas
>
>  You can edit  your ~/.psqlrc (or /etc/psqlrc) an put a
>
> begin;
>
> line into it. The drawback is that if you do not issue a "commit"
> command you loose all your changes.

The problem with this is that is that when he does his first COMMIT, he
is not started in a new transaction block.

http://www.op.net/~candle              |  (610) 353-9879(w)
  +  If your life is a hard drive,     |  (610) 853-3000(h)
  +  Christ can be your backup.        |