Re: [HACKERS] Missing headers Windows NT port - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Meskes
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Missing headers Windows NT port
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Sep 14, 1998 at 01:55:31AM +0000, Thomas G. Lockhart wrote:
> to ensure that there is a liability disclaimer for same. Would the
> inclusion of a GPL addendum or GPL code be at odds with that, as long as
> the UCB license continues to be included and prominently displayed? I

Just an example. GPL allows to link against a non-GPLed library only if that
library is part of the opertaing system. UCB license allows that. So if we
were to add such a library we cannot do that if we have a small piece of
GPLed code included.

Or if you were to make a commercial release from PostgreSQL and in the
process fix some bugs and add some more features, you can keep that stuff
commercially, while under GPL you have to make the source available. That is
you must not improve GPLed code without making these improvements GPL again.

But then this discussion is worthless since we DO have GPLed code in
PostgreSQL. Just check gram.c! If we do not want GPL we cannot use bison at
all. Granted a commercial vendor could work around this by recompiling
gram.c, preproc.c etc.

After all the main function of GPL is to keep free software free, and I have
no problems with that.

Michael
--
Michael Meskes            meskes@online-club.de, meskes@debian.org
Go SF49ers! Go Rhein Fire!    Use Debian GNU/Linux!