ERROR: cannot create index - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gene Selkov Jr.
Subject ERROR: cannot create index
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi there,

I committed an awful sin. I killed psql while the backend was trying to
build an index for me, a hash with text_ops. Could wait no longer.
The problem was that all values in the column it was indexing were
identical (got there by mistake). While the question why would it get sick
doing such a simple task (just 700,000 identical values in a text type
column) might by itself be an interesting subject for a hacker, the problem
I want to report is this: because I killed (9) that misfortunate backend,
some leftovers in the system tables prevent me from building the new index under
the same name. How can I clean it up?

(Red Hat 5.1, postgresql built from the 6.3.2 release)

Thanks,

Gene