Re: [HACKERS] Re: Open portability issues - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Brook Milligan
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Re: Open portability issues
Date
List pgsql-hackers
   > Open portability issues:
   >
   > /usr/local should be searched for lib and include for all ports if present
   > (currently not working, I have libreadline there)

   I actually us a flag to configure:

       --with-includes="/u/readline" \
       --with-libraries="/u/readline /usr/contrib/lib"

   Should we be poking around in /usr/local by default?  Comments?

No!  The configure options (including the /usr/local typical usage)
are clearly outlined in INSTALL and easy to use.  In fact, arbitrary
series of space-separated directories can be given as you illustrate.

The configuration stuff works fine now.  Why mung it up again?  If we
make searching /usr/local a default, we need a way to prevent that if
the wrong stuff is in /usr/local.  It makes sense to simply specify
where to look, document what to do, and be done.

Cheers,
Brook