Re: CIDR/IP types. Was: [GENERAL] big numbers] - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: CIDR/IP types. Was: [GENERAL] big numbers]
Date
List pgsql-general
> Bruce Momjian <maillist@candle.pha.pa.us> writes:
>
> > The person who said they were going to work on the IP type has not
> > responded to my requests for a status, and nothing has been added in
> > that area in 6.4.
>
> That would be me.  What I said was that it looked like the thing to do
> was to pick the best ideas the three implementations available, and
> that I, at least, would be doing that for my local needs.  I still
> plan to do that, but having recently become a father for the first
> time, and having lots of projects going at work, I haven't found time
> yet.  Unless someone beats me to it, I will be doing this soon, and
> probably within the next couple of weeks, but obviously not in time
> for the 6.4 beta period.  Besides, I have no idea how to integrate a
> new type as a built-in type, so someone else would have to do that.

I would be glad to help with integrating it.  We need a decision,
people.  Who do we want to do this, and how are we going to handle
integrating this into the beta, if we want to?

BTW, does pg_upgrade work for people.  That may be a quick fix for the
beta people to get these new system types WITHOUT dump/reload.