Re: [HACKERS] index fix report - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [HACKERS] index fix report
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > Forgot to mention.  I still have the problem also.    Tom, what are
> > you running on?   Is platform still a factor in this problem?
>
> Platform is a problem in that Bruce's FreeBSD/i686 machine does not show
> the symptoms, but it's a pretty widespread problem beyond that afaik.
> I'm running on Linux/i686. Tatsuo sees problems on Linux/PPC. Some Sparc
> machines running Solaris and Linux apparently still show problems.
>
> I'm guessing that it is a byte alignment difference in malloc behavior
> between the systems which exposes misaligned structures on some
> platforms. How's that for pure speculation, eh?

Let me tell you what I need to help debug this.

It would help to know if it is the cache, or an index problem.  It is
sometimes hard to determine because the cache often uses the indexes to
load the cache.

Can someone step through a bad entry, and tell me where it is failing?
If it is in the executor, it probably is an index.  EXPLAIN does show
what indexes are involved.  Are several indexes failing, or just one?

I like the malloc idea, but am unsure how the problem just started
happening with the multi-key system indexes.