Re: [HACKERS] Fix for initdb/indexing problems - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas A. Szybist
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Fix for initdb/indexing problems
Date
List pgsql-hackers
In message <199809030925.KAA18833@mtcc.demon.co.uk>, Keith Parks writes:
> Bruce,
>
> Just to confirm, your fixes are just the job.
>
> The regression tests run fine with only the failures I have always
> seen due to maths precision and SIGFPE handling.
>
> Thanks for your persistence in tracking this "bug" down.
>
> Keith.
>

> Bruce Momjian <maillist@candle.pha.pa.us>
> >
> > OK, I have found the problem.  I looked AGAIN at CatalogIndexInsert(),
> > because all problems seem to be localized there.  I remembered something
> > Tom Szybist said yesterday while we were on the phone about Datum only
> > being one value.
> >
> > I said they are chained together, which I saw in IndexFormDatum, but
> > when I looked, I saw that the Datum pointer indexed in IndexFormDatum
> > was only a single Datum value, not an array of datum values like nulls
> > is defined.
> >
> > With single-key system indexes, this was not a problem, but with the new
> > multi-key system indicies, it is.
> >
> > I have attached the patch, and it is applied to the tree.  Please let me
> > know if this fixes the many reported index problems.  It should.

I just applied this patch to my 08/28 tree.  Looks good! I'm seeing a
bunch of other regression test failures, but I think most of these
have been resolved.  I compiling a fresh update now.  Will report later.
(BTW I'm still in Solaris mode.  I'll also take a look at S/Linux).

Thanks!!

Tom Szybist

szybist@boxhill.com