Re: [HACKERS] initdb problem - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [HACKERS] initdb problem
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Bruce Momjian <maillist@candle.pha.pa.us>

> > > echo "select * from pg_attribute where attalign != 'i' and attalign !=
> > > 'c'and attalign != 'd' and attalign!='s';"|psql template1
> >
> > Yikes.  Good thing that is fixed now.
> >

> Another interesting thing?
>
> (appologies for the width)
>
> I would half expected attalign to be 'd' for all these.
>
> I'm not sure how the values get there though!!

Can you research what the proper value should be.  We have char/varchar
set to 'i', but others set to 'd'.  What should be the proper value.  Is
'd' and 'i' alignment the same on our supported platforms.  Does a char
field of length 32 align on int, but a double align on double differently.