Re: [HACKERS] Broken source tree - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Broken source tree
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> >I did a CVSup a few minutes ago, and tried to do a clean install.
> >configure seemed to do the right thing, but initdb was not
> >happy. Looks
>
> Seems linux users have been experiencing problems with initdb, and I
> decided to make another challenge of installing PostgreSQL to my
> RedHat 4.0 box from scratch. (I did cvs up a few hours ago). So far no
> problem was found.
>
> >like (perhaps) the recent changes to initdb to allow non-interactive use
>                             ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> >might have broken things?
>
> I didn't know about this. Maybe you mean the patches I have sent
> recently?
>
> >Regarding specific symptoms:
> >1) libpq.so.1 did get made and is in the right place afaik. Don't know
> >why pg_id is complaining.
>
> don't know too.
>
> >2) initdb has a syntax error in the script.
>
> maybe due to pg_id returning null string?
> --
> Tatsuo Ishii
> t-ishii@sra.co.jp

Multi-byte pg_class_mb.h and others had duplicate copies of the file in
them.  I am committing a fix now.

As far as I am concerned, if you want to just add the endcoding field to
various tables, go ahead.  It is easier than maintaining two copies of
the files, and should make your job easier.