Re: [HACKERS] 6.1 pg_dump core dump - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From bower@image.Kodak.COM (J Christopher Bower)
Subject Re: [HACKERS] 6.1 pg_dump core dump
Date
List pgsql-hackers

>>    bower@image.Kodak.COM (J Christopher Bower) writes:
    > I decided to debug the 6.1 pg_dump source and determined that the core dump
    > occured dumping tblinfo cleanup.  Specifically when structures allocated for
    > sequence tables are being cleaned up.

>>    It looks like this bug has been fixed in a different way in the current
>>    pg_dump sources (clearTableInfo now knows that sequences don't have the
>>    standard attributes).  It also looks like pg_dump has changed enough
>>    since 6.1 that any patches wouldn't be easily transferred back and
>>    forth anyway.

>>    You might be able to run the current pg_dump against your 6.1 database
>>    by recompiling the current pg_dump.c/.h/common.c atop the 6.1 libpq.
>>    That should cure the protocol incompatibility.  However, pg_dump is
>>    friendly enough with the system table layouts that I fear it might not
>>    work with an old database anyway.

>>    Probably your best bet is just to go ahead and use your patched pg_dump
>>    to extract data from your old database.

>>                regards, tom lane

    Tom,

    Thanks for your help it looks like I'll proceed with my modified version
    of pg_dump.

    Compiling pg_dump 6.3.2 with the 6.1 libpq was successfull. This pg_dump
    could connect to the database but failed when it attempted to perform a
    select from pg_class in the 6.1 database and expected the attribute
    relcheck.  Apparently pg_class has been restructure somewhere between
    6.1 and 6.3.2.

    I'm confused because the documentation that I read indicates that the
    6.3.2 pg_dump should be able to dump the 6.1 database.  But appaently
    this cannot be done, atleast with my 6.1 database.

    Again thanks for your help.

                Chris Bower