RE: [GENERAL] pg_result - Mailing list pgsql-general

From dj@pelf.harvard.edu (Diab Jerius)
Subject RE: [GENERAL] pg_result
Date
List pgsql-general
---------  Received message begins Here  ---------

>     I am trying to get back 10 lines of information that each contain
> 11 fields.  Do you know what variable I should set up.  Do I need to set
> up and array call since there are more than 1 line of data that I am
> trying to call?
>

>             This is what I have:
>
> #!/usr/local/bin/perl
>
> use Pg;
>

> $database = "inquiries";
> $conn = Pg::connectdb("dbname = $database");
>
> $query = "select * from sales where acctid = 'dave'";
> $result = $conn->exec("$query");
> # should check to see if status is ok if not fail it
> $status = $conn->status;
> $errorMessage = $conn->errorMessage;
> $cmdStatus = $result->cmdStatus;
>
> $result_status = $result->resultStatus;
> $ntuples = $result->ntuples;
> $nfields = $result->nfields;

All of the data selected is returned in the result object.
At this point you need to iterate through it to get the data:

Here's an example:

for ( my $tuple = 0 ; $tuple < $result->ntuples ; $tuple++ )
{
   for ( my $field = 0 ; $field < $result->nfields ; $field++ )
   {
      printf( "%d: %s = %s\n", $tuple, $result->fname( $field ),
                      $result->getvalue( $tuple, $field ) );
   }
}

Diab Jerius                       Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics
                                  60 Garden St, MS 70, Cambridge MA 02138 USA
djerius@cfa.harvard.edu           vox: 617 496 7575         fax: 617 495 7356