Re: [HACKERS] AbortTransaction and not in in-progress state - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Billy G. Allie
Subject Re: [HACKERS] AbortTransaction and not in in-progress state
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> Morning...
>
>     the following is starting to get on my nerves :(  The table I'm
> trying to update is ~22k records, and I can't seem to get through it...
>
>     So, my first question is *what* does this message mean?  The
> backend gives an error about too many open files, but there are less then
> 20 process running on this machine...

There are two limits on the number of open files in UNIX systems (ok, three, if your C library imposes it's own limit
onthe number of FILE *), the system wide limit and the per process limit.  The per process limit is usually much
smallerthan the system wide limit (i.e 60 vs. 400).  It is therefor possible that the backend process is running out of
filehandles, even though there are plenty of file handles available on a system wide bases.

I hope this helps.

Billy G. Allie.