Re: [GENERAL] delete columm help - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Oliver Elphick
Subject Re: [GENERAL] delete columm help
Date
List pgsql-general
Joao Paulo Felix wrote:
  >Hi there,
  >
  >I am just starting to use PostgreSQL, and I couldn't find the answer on
  >the
  >PostgreSQL site...so if any one could help me it would be very
  >appreciated.
  >
  >1) Good books/reference on PostgreSQL for a novice?

I know of no book specifically on PostgreSQL.  For SQL, a very good book
is "The Practical SQL Handbook" by Bowman, Emerson and Darnovsky,
ISBN 0-201-44787-8.

  >2) How do I delete a columm from a table, I have tried to use the
  >following:
  >
  >DELETE FROM table_name columm_name

The command for changing columns in a table is ALTER TABLE.  At present,
there is no facility to drop columns.

Create a new table with the correct columns; copy from the old table
to the new; DROP the old table; use ALTER TABLE to rename the new one.

     "Wait on the LORD; be of good courage, and he shall
      strengthen thine heart; wait, I say, on the LORD."
                                    Psalms 27:14