Re: [HACKERS] 6.3.2 configure glitch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [HACKERS] 6.3.2 configure glitch
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> I'm building 6.3.2 as I write, and I've noticed one small glitch so
> far.  The configure script tells me that Perl support will be disabled
> because PostgreSQL has not been previously installed, which I felt was
> a bit mean of it, seeing as I've got 6.3.1 installed.  It turns out
> that the test for a previous installation is too simplistic.  It looks
> like this in the configure script:
>
> if test "$USE_PERL" = "true"; then
>     if test ! -x $prefix/bin/postgres; then
>         echo "configure: warning: perl support disabled; postgres not previously installed" 1>&2
>         USE_PERL=
>     fi
> fi
>
> Notice that it only tests for $prefix -- unlike this example of a
> previous test, this one for config.site:
>
> if test -z "$CONFIG_SITE"; then
>   if test "x$prefix" != xNONE; then
>     CONFIG_SITE="$prefix/share/config.site $prefix/etc/config.site"
>   else
>     CONFIG_SITE="$ac_default_prefix/share/config.site $ac_default_prefix/etc/config.site"
>   fi
> fi
>
> The Perl test should probably be modified to work the same way.  For
> now, I've just run configure with "--prefix=/usr/local/pgsql", and
> that (not surprisingly) seems to work fine.

Here is the patch to configure.in.  Hope this is what you suggested.

*** ./configure.in.orig    Sun Apr 26 23:49:14 1998
--- ./configure.in    Sun Apr 26 23:51:41 1998
***************
*** 252,260 ****

  dnl Verify that postgres is already installed
  dnl per instructions for perl interface installation
! if test "$USE_PERL" = "true"; then
!     if test ! -x $prefix/bin/postgres; then
!         AC_MSG_WARN(perl support disabled; postgres not previously installed)
          USE_PERL=
      fi
  fi
--- 252,261 ----

  dnl Verify that postgres is already installed
  dnl per instructions for perl interface installation
! if test "$USE_PERL" = "true"
! then
!     if test ! -x "$prefix"/bin/postgres -a ! -x "$ac_default_prefix"/bin/postgres