Re: [HACKERS] Re: [QUESTIONS] How to use memory instead of hd? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kent S. Gordon
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Re: [QUESTIONS] How to use memory instead of hd?
Date
Re: [HACKERS] Re: [QUESTIONS] How to use memory instead of hd?
List pgsql-hackers

    >>  Bruce Momjian wrote: > > > > > Hi All > > > > I just upgraded
    >> to 128MB RAM, and really don't need ALL of it MOST of the > >
    >> time, and the main reason for it was to help with database
    >> speed.  > > > > But then I got to thinking, is there a way to
    >> just semi-permently put a > > database into RAM? so that when a
    >> query is done it goes only to the image > > of the database in
    >> RAM, never even touching the hard drive.  This would be > >
    >> enormasly faster on 50 ~ 100 (or what ever) MB databases,
    >> especially on > > those new boxes with that 6? or 10? nano
    >> second RAM.  Especially if one > > could pick and chose which
    >> table(s) to put in RAM > > You can tune your OS to use most of
    >> that as buffer cache.  However, > writes will be flushed to
    >> disk by postgresql fync, or the OS syncing > every so often,
    >> but not too bad.  You can also up your postgres shared > memory
    >> buffers, though some OS's have a limit on that.
    >> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    >> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Could we use mmap (instead of shmem) with
    >> MAP_ANON flag to get more memory for shared buffer pool ?  I'm
    >> using FreeBSD, man mmap says:
    >>
    >> MAP_ANON Map anonymous memory not associated with any specific
    >> file.  The file descriptor used for creating MAP_ANON regions
    >> is used only for naming, and may be specified as -1 if no name
    >> is associated with the region.
    >>
    >> Vadim

    > Yes, we could.  I don't think we do because we an anon-mapped
    > region is the same as shmem, but if the limit is higher for anon
    > mmap, we could used it.
On FreeBSD the limit for mmap is basically the amount of swap vs a
predefined limit when a kernel is built.  This was a project I was
thinking of doing but have not had the time yet.  mmap may also be
faster due to tighter intergration in the kernel.  In general it is
better to avoid all the SYSV IPC calls and use other methods of doing
the needed operations.  Stevens book (either Advanced Unix Programming
or Unix Network Programming) has a good discussion of the pro/CONS of
the SYSV IPC interfaces.

--
Kent S. Gordon
Architect