Re: [HACKERS] Proposal for async support in libpq - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Proposal for async support in libpq
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> Here's what I propose to do with libpq to make it more useful for
> real-time applications.  Any comments or better ideas?
>
> The point of these changes is first to allow frontend applications to
> receive NOTIFY responses without having to generate dummy queries,
> and second to allow a frontend to perform other work while awaiting
> the result of a query.
>
> We can't break existing code for this, so the behavior of PQexec()
> can't change.  Instead, I propose new functions to add to the API.
> Internally, PQexec will be reimplemented in terms of these new
> functions, but old apps won't notice any difference.

This all looks good.  Another thing we really need it to be able to
cancel queries.  This would be a big win, and looks like it could fit
into the scheme here.

Ideally, I would like to control-c in psql, and have the query cancel,
instead of exiting from pgsql.