Re: [HACKERS] Re: [COMMITTERS] 'pgsql/src/bin/initdb initdb.sh' - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Re: [COMMITTERS] 'pgsql/src/bin/initdb initdb.sh'
Date
Re: [HACKERS] Re: [COMMITTERS] 'pgsql/src/bin/initdb initdb.sh'  (Peter T Mount <psqlhack@maidast.demon.co.uk>)
List pgsql-hackers
> > We are using Jan's cache fix already.  I just tried it and it works.
> > And it means it doesn't show up in \d, and a user can't accidentally
> > delete it.  Sounds like a real winner.
>
>     Sounds really good - if we can be sure that the pg_ prefix of
>     a view never collides with the  IsSystemRelationName()  tests
>     somewhere  (there  are  many).  You  got  me. Let's leave all
>     postgres specific stuff in pg_*.

OK, we are basically creating it with a different name, then moving in
into the pg_ namespace with UPDATE pg_class.

>     But as it was done  in  most  UN*X's,  could  we  rename  the
>     pg_user  containing  the  password  into  pg_shadow  and then
>     create a view pg_user that just stars out the password field?
>     This  way  no  existing  application  code (not even the JDBC
>     etc.) needs any  changes,  except  for  the  createuser  etc.
>     tools that always get installed with the new release.

The only problem with that is that the database administrator now should
deal with pg_shadow, and not pg_user, and pg_user is not a real table
anymore.  Actually, in Unix, this is true too.  I don't think we can
change the real table to pg_shadow this close to a release, can we?