Re: AW: [HACKERS] Solution to the pg_user passwd problem !?? (c) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: AW: [HACKERS] Solution to the pg_user passwd problem !?? (c)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>     passswords had to get in there at *some* point...they are there
> now, now we have to extend the security to the next level.  Better to move
> forward 1 step at a time.  If we remove the REVOKE altogether, the
> passwords are still there, but there is *0* security instead of 50%
> security...

If we remove the REVOKE, then people will not use passwords by mistake,
thinking they are secure.  To use them, they have to issue a REVOKE, and
then they are secure.

What am I missing here?

>     So, I think we should leave the REVOKE/GRANT in initdb, and work
> at having grant/revoke work on a view (such that a view overrides the
> revoke of all on pg_user) so that it is appliable *after* v6.3 is
> released, and available as (if possible) a patch for just after...
>
>     We aren't hurting anything by leaving the REVOKE/GRANT in place,
> but I think we are if we remove it and just leave it wide open...

Again, am I missing something?

--
Bruce Momjian
maillist@candle.pha.pa.us