Re: [HACKERS] configure on linux - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [HACKERS] configure on linux
Date
Re: [HACKERS] configure on linux  (Tom I Helbekkmo <tih@Hamartun.Priv.NO>)
List pgsql-hackers

> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > Don't break my optimizations.  The locking stuff is in *.h files for a
> > reason.  They get called thousands of times, and inlining this code has
> > produced a good speedup and they aren't that big.
>
> You misunderstand me.  I didn't suggest removing the S_LOCK() et al
> macros.  What I meant was that the actual assembly implementation of
> tas() itself might be better off in a separate source file.  As an
> example, here is my current version of the locking code for the VAX,
> in s_lock.h (bbssi is "branch on bit set and set, interlocked"):

Yes, I considered static functions, but that is assuming the compiler is
going to do something, and we can't really be sure of this.  Better to
make it a macro, so there is no change of it not being inlined.  Also, I
don't think asm stuff is re-ordered, so you don't have the 'volatile'
problem.

--
Bruce Momjian
maillist@candle.pha.pa.us