Re: [HACKERS] Removing #include "postgres.h" from a couple of headers - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Removing #include "postgres.h" from a couple of headers
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 3:55 AM, Thomas Munro
> <thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>> There are also instances in regcustom.h and snowball's header.h -- are
>> those special cases?

> I will leave this question to someone wiser (or more self-assured) than I.

I'm pretty sure I'm to blame for both of those special cases.  The genesis
of both is that we are including these headers from externally-generated
.c files, and it seemed like modifying the .c files would be a bigger
problem than violating the policy.  I am not sure if I hold that position
anymore for the regexp library; our copy has diverged substantially from
Tcl's anyway.  It's still an issue for Snowball, because those .c files
are actually machine-generated by a Snowball-to-C compiler.  We haven't
modified them and probably shouldn't.

If we don't change the code layout, we should probably at least add
comments near these postgres.h inclusions explaining why they're violating
policy.