Re: I am done - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: I am done
Date
Re: I am done  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@atentus.com>)
Re: I am done  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
Re: I am done  ("Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl@familyhealth.com.au>)
List pgsql-hackers
> You can probably nail some TODOs:

> * Allow autocommit so always in a transaction block

This isn't really done; the backend side is probably okay, but we have
a ton of client-side code that will malfunction if you try to run it in
autocommit-off state.  I'm willing to ship it that way for 7.3, but we
should certainly have a TODO item indicating that client libraries,
psql, etc need work.

Other TODO items that are done, or at least better than 7.2:

* Show location of syntax error in query [yacc]

The character-position hack addresses this, though surely it's not complete.

* Allow logging of query durations

Didn't Bruce just commit that?

* Make single-user local access permissions the default by limiting permissions on the socket file (Peter E)

I believe we have decided *not* to do this.

* Reserve last few process slots for super-user if max_connections reached
* Add GUC parameter to print queries that generate errors

Both done, no?

* Declare typein/out functions in pg_proc with a special "C string" data type
* Functions returning sets do not totally work

Both done (the remaining work on sets is covered by another item)

* Allow bytea to handle LIKE with non-TEXT patterns

I didn't want to apply Joe's patch at this late hour, but I think Bruce
did it anyway.
o Store binary-compatible type information in the system

Done, see pg_cast.
o -SELECT col FROM tab WHERE numeric_col = 10.1 fails, requires quotes

This should not be marked done; the problem is still there, just this
particular symptom went away.
o Ensure we have array-eq operators for every built-in array type

Did that; there's even a regression test to catch the omission in
future.

* Allow setting database character set without multibyte enabled

This is probably irrelevant now that multibyte can't be disabled.

* Have UPDATE/DELETE clean out indexes

This entry makes no sense to me; unless we abandon the entire concept of
MVCC, this is not gonna happen.
o ALTER TABLE ADD COLUMN to inherited table put column in wrong place  [inheritance]

While this isn't done, its urgency has dropped an awful lot now that
pg_dump knows to use COPY column lists; you don't have to worry about
dump/restore breakage.  Accordingly, I doubt we're ever gonna try to
change it.
o Add ALTER FUNCTION

What is ALTER FUNCTION?  How does it differ from CREATE OR REPLACE
FUNCTION?
o -ALTER TABLE ADD PRIMARY KEY (Tom)o -ALTER TABLE ADD UNIQUE (Tom)

AFAIR, I didn't do either of those; I think Chris K-L gets the credit.
o ALTER TABLE ADD COLUMN column SERIAL doesn't create sequence

This is not a problem.  The actual problem with adding a serial column
is covered by the next entry:o ALTER TABLE ADD COLUMN column DEFAULT should fill existing  rows with DEFAULT value
o -Cluster all tables at once using pg_index.indisclustered set during         previous CLUSTER

This is not done, unless we are going to accept Alvaro's last-minute
patch for it; which I vote we don't.  It's too big a change.
o Prevent DROP of table being referenced by our own open cursor

Huh?  There is no such bug that I know of.
o -Disallow missing columns in INSERT ... VALUES, per ANSI

What is this, and why is it marked done?
o -Remove SET KSQO option now that OR processing is improved (Tom)

I don't think I get the credit (blame?) for this one, either.

* Have pg_dump use LEFT OUTER JOIN in multi-table SELECTs or multiple SELECTS to avoid bad system catalog entries

Isn't this pretty much done?

* Add config file check for $ODBCINI, $HOME/.odbc.ini, installpath/etc/odbc.ini

With ODBC out of the main distro, this isn't our problem anymore.

* Fix foreign key constraints to not error on intermediate db states (Stephan)

Isn't this done?

* Have SERIAL generate non-colliding sequence names when we have  auto-destruction

They should be pretty well non-colliding now.  What's the gripe exactly?

* Propagate column or table renaming to foreign key constraints

This is done.

* Remove wal_files postgresql.conf option because WAL files are now recycled

Done, no?

* Improve dynamic memory allocation by introducing tuple-context memory allocation (Tom)

Uh, wasn't that done long ago?

* Nested FULL OUTER JOINs don't work (Tom)

Fixed.