Re: Misuse of TimestampDifference() in the autoprewarm feature of pg_prewarm - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Misuse of TimestampDifference() in the autoprewarm feature of pg_prewarm
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Alexey Kondratov <a.kondratov@postgrespro.ru> writes:
> After fixing this issue I have noticed that it still dumps blocks twice
> at each timeout (here I set autoprewarm_interval to 15s):
> This happens because at timeout time we were using continue, but
> actually we still have to wait the entire autoprewarm_interval after
> successful dumping.

I don't think your 0001 is correct.  It would be okay if apw_dump_now()
could be counted on to take negligible time, but we shouldn't assume
that should we?

I agree that the "continue" seems a bit bogus, because it's skipping
the ResetLatch call at the bottom of the loop; it's not quite clear
to me whether that's a good thing or not.  But the general idea of
the existing code seems to be to loop around and make a fresh calculation
of how-long-to-wait, and that doesn't seem wrong.

0002 seems like a pretty clear bug fix, though I wonder if this is exactly
what we want to do going forward.  It seems like a very large fraction of
the callers of TimestampDifference would like to have the value in msec,
which means we're doing a whole lot of expensive and error-prone
arithmetic to break down the difference to sec/usec and then put it
back together again.  Let's get rid of that by inventing, say
TimestampDifferenceMilliseconds(...).

BTW, I see another bug of a related ilk.  Look what
postgres_fdw/connection.c is doing:

                TimestampDifference(now, endtime, &secs, µsecs);

                /* To protect against clock skew, limit sleep to one minute. */
                cur_timeout = Min(60000, secs * USECS_PER_SEC + microsecs);

                /* Sleep until there's something to do */
                wc = WaitLatchOrSocket(MyLatch,
                                       WL_LATCH_SET | WL_SOCKET_READABLE |
                                       WL_TIMEOUT | WL_EXIT_ON_PM_DEATH,
                                       PQsocket(conn),
                                       cur_timeout, PG_WAIT_EXTENSION);

WaitLatchOrSocket's timeout is measured in msec not usec.  I think the
comment about "clock skew" is complete BS, and the Min() calculation was
put in as a workaround by somebody observing that the sleep waited too
long, but not understanding why.