Re: [HACKERS] DEFAULT fixed - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] DEFAULT fixed
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>> It might be best to just bite the bullet and make the parser carry
>> around both the type's OID and typmod at all times.

> I will try to add it, but I must not that there are some cases where I
> don't have access to the atttypmod of the result, so it may not be
> possible to do it in every case.  Perhaps I should just leave this for
> post 6.5, because we don't have any other bug reports on it.

After further thought, I think this may be a more difficult and subtle
issue than we've realized.  In the current state of the system, there
are many places where you have a value that you can only know the type
OID for, not atttypmod --- specifically, any intermediate expression
result.  Barring reworking the entire function-call mechanism to pass
atttypmod around, that's not going to be possible to change.

The only context where you really know atttypmod is where you have
just fetched a value out of a table column or are about to store a
value into a table column.  When storing, you need to be prepared to
coerce the given value to the right type if *either* type OID or
atttypmod is different --- but, in general, you don't know atttypmod
for the given value.  (In the cases I know of, you can deduce it by
examining the value itself, but this requires type-specific knowledge.)

So on the whole I think this is something that has to be dealt with
at the point of storing data into a tuple.  Maybe we need a new
fundamental operation for types that pay attention to atttypmod:
"make this value match the typmod of the target column, which is
thus-and-so".  Trying to attack the problem from the source side by
propagating typmod all around the parser is probably doomed to failure,
because there will be many contexts where there's no way to know it.

Since you have a fix for the only symptom reported to date, I'm
inclined to agree that we should leave well enough alone for now;
there are other, bigger, problems that we need to address for 6.5.
But I think we'll have to come back to this issue later.