Re: Out of Memory errors are frustrating as heck! - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Out of Memory errors are frustrating as heck!
Date
List pgsql-performance
> Is there a reason to not just elog the HJDEBUG stuff?

Yes --- it'd be expensive (a "no op" elog is far from free) and
useless to ~ 99.999% of users.

Almost all the conditionally-compiled debug support in the PG executor
is legacy leftovers from Berkeley days.  If it were useful more often
than once in a blue moon, we probably would have made it more easily
reachable long ago.  I'm a bit surprised we haven't just ripped it
out, TBH.  When I find myself needing extra debug output, it's almost
never the case that any of that old code does what I need.

There might be a case for changing it all to print to stderr not
stdout, so that it plays more nicely with elog/ereport output
when you do have it turned on, though.

            regards, tom lane