Re: user connection not recorded? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: user connection not recorded?
Date
List pgsql-general
> On 07/30/2015 06:42 AM, Melvin Davidson wrote:
>> I can understand that the host is not available in nslookup, but why is
>> the user not being recorded?

> A quick look at the source shows that Postgres system process can have NULL username:

Well, the real point is that that message comes out before we've collected
the startup packet, so we don't *have* a username yet.  All we know is
that somebody's opened a TCP connection.  The later "connection
authorized" message will tell you what database user name they gave.

If you see lots more "connection received" than "connection authorized"
then somebody is connecting to your postmaster and failing to
authenticate, which is usually a good thing to investigate.

            regards, tom lane