Re: [GENERAL] Temporary tables and miscellaneous schemas - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Temporary tables and miscellaneous schemas
Date
Re: [GENERAL] Temporary tables and miscellaneous schemas  (Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl@familyhealth.com.au>)
List pgsql-patches
> This patch uses current_schemas('true') to display only the schemas in
> the current search path and implicit schemas.

The more I look at this, the sillier it looks.  It converts \dn into
an expensive substitute for "select current_schemas(true)".  In
practical situations this will mean that \dn shows hardly anything of
interest.

I think the original complaint was misguided and we should not do
anything about it.  IIRC the complaint amounted to "I have hundreds of
schemas and it annoys me that \dn shows them all".  How is this
different from putting hundreds of tables into one schema and then being
annoyed because \dt shows them all?  We have other mechanisms available
for making \dn selective (ie, you can use a name pattern).  If \dn is
restricted to showing only schemas in your search path, it will become
useless.

            regards, tom lane