Re: proposal - urlencode, urldecode support - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: proposal - urlencode, urldecode support
Date
Re: proposal - urlencode, urldecode support  (Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> 2012/4/25 Michael Glaesemann <grzm@seespotcode.net>:
>> Sounds like a great idea for a PGXN module.

> it is one variant - but with support some web technologies - XML,
> JSON, I prefer this in core. Urlcode is one the most used code on
> world now -  implementation is simple - and it can be well integrated
> with decode, encode functions.

Embedding that in encode/decode sounds to me like a pretty horrid idea,
actually, unless I misunderstand what you are talking about.  URL
encoding is a text-to-text transformation, no?  If so, it doesn't fit
into encode/decode, which presume a binary (bytea) decoded form.  People
would be needing to do entirely bogus text/bytea coercions to use
such an implementation.

Ergo, this needs to be a separate function, and so the argument for
putting it in core seems a bit weak to me.  The net field demand for
the feature, so far, has been zero.