Re: UPPER() Function Not Working as Expected in PostgreSQL 12.5 Version - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: UPPER() Function Not Working as Expected in PostgreSQL 12.5 Version
Date
List pgsql-sql
> On Thu, Jul 8, 2021 at 2:26 AM Saraswat, Dhruv <
> dhruv.saraswat@thermofisher.com> wrote:
>> We have a table in which 1 of the columns is called ‘name’ with a datatype
>> of ‘name’. This column stores username values, for example ==>
>> dhruv.saraswat@thermofisher.com

> I unfortunately don't know the answer to your primary query but you are
> definitely misusing the "name" datatype.

Indeed.  I suspect that this was done as some sort of substitute for
declaring the column with collation "C", and the reason it's acting
differently in v12 is related to the fact that name columns are no
longer forced to behave as though they have collation "C".  We don't
have enough details to be sure of that though.

            regards, tom lane