Re: Bundle of patches - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Bundle of patches
Date
Re: [HACKERS] Bundle of patches  (Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>)
List pgsql-patches
Teodor Sigaev <teodor@sigaev.ru> writes:
> 1) Typmod for user-defined types
>    http://www.sigaev.ru/misc/user_defined_typmod-0.7.gz
>    Patch is based on ideas from
>    http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2004-06/msg00932.php
>    http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2005-08/msg01007.php

This one seems generally workable, but I really dislike the approach
that's been used for passing typmod arguments to the typmod_in function.
Representing them with an "internal" parameter means it'll be forever
impossible to write typmod functions in anything but C, which seems an
ugly restriction.  Perhaps an array of int4 would be better?  How much
flexibility do we really want to provide for typmod arguments?  Allowing
full "expr_list" in the grammar seems less than sane, considering the
result is still going to have to pack into 32 bits.

The patch needs more cleanup before applying, too, eg make comments
match code, get rid of unused keywords added to gram.y.

            regards, tom lane