Re: Cancelling long running query? - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Cancelling long running query?
Date
List pgsql-novice
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
>> How can I cancel a long running query besides quitting the app?

> Methods:
> 1) Shutdown and restart the database server with pg_ctl -m fast restart.

Better is just to send SIGINT to the individual backend running the
query.  This is equivalent to the client having made a QueryCancel
request.

> 2) Kill the client connection proccess on the server side.  This is dangerous
> if the long-running query is a data-modification query.

No more dangerous than any other forced database crash ... which is what
you will get if you kill a backend process ...

            regards, tom lane