different language indexes - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dennis Gearon
Subject different language indexes
Date
List pgsql-general
Since a DATABASE in Pgsql is the lowest level of objects that can be assigned a collation, I'm wondering if there is a
wayaround it.

Can indexes be made which have their own individual collations?

I'm thinking to make a table in a datbase that has either us_en-utf8 or 'c' collation, and then put any language that I
wantin it. Then make different indexes using differnt collations. So when I get a user's locality and langauge, I
searchfor the closest index, and specifiy it when doing text based searches.

Is this possible?

Dennis Gearon

Signature Warning
EARTH has a Right To Life,