Re: a potential size overflow issue - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: a potential size overflow issue
Date
List pgsql-hackers
David Zhang <david.zhang@highgo.ca> writes:
> "InitBufTable" is the function used to initialize the buffer lookup
> table for buffer manager. With the memory size increasing nowadays,
> there is a potential overflow issue for the parameter "int size" used by
> "InitBufTable". This function is invoked in freelist.c as below:
>      InitBufTable(NBuffers + NUM_BUFFER_PARTITIONS);

> The number of buffer block “NBuffers” is also defined as "int", and
> "NUM_BUFFER_PARTITIONS" has a default value 128. In theory, it may get
> the chance to overflow the "size" parameter in "InitBufTable".

No, because guc.c limits NBuffers to INT_MAX/2.

> Therefore, it would be better to change "InitBufTable(int size)" to
> "InitBufTable(long size)".

If I was worried about this, that wouldn't be much of a fix, since
on many platforms "long" is not any wider than "int".  (We really
oughta try to move away from relying on "long", because its size
is so poorly standardized.)