Re: autoconf + newer gcc barfs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: autoconf + newer gcc barfs
Date
List pgsql-hackers
teg@redhat.com (Trond Eivind Glomsrød) writes:
> GCC CVS now outputs a multiline version string:
> [teg@halden teg]$ gcc --version
> gcc (GCC) 3.1 20020115 (Red Hat Linux Rawhide 3.1-0.18)

I put in a "head -1" step per your suggestion.  However, this will still
leave us with really ugly version strings, along the line of

PostgreSQL 7.2rc1 on hppa-hp-hpux10.20, compiled by GCC gcc (GCC) 3.1 20020115 (Red Hat Linux Rawhide 3.1-0.18)

May I suggest that gcc is being a little too verbose here?  Perhaps
"gcc --version --verbose" could do that, and plain "gcc --version"
could try to have some respect for compatibility with prior behavior.