Re: update query blows out - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: update query blows out
Date
List pgsql-performance
shane hill <shill@adobe.com> writes:
> I am having a problem with an update transaction. I need to update 4000+
> records but the update query keeps blowing out postgres and at times I
> am forced to restart the postmaster or reboot my server if I update
> 2500+ records. The query is fine with 2225 records it is just somewhere
> beyond 2225 that brings the server down.

> [ core dump in heavily-recursive routine ]

I think you are running into a stack-size problem.  A quick look at
"ulimit -a" on my own OS X machine shows that the default stack limit
is a mere 512KB, which is verging on the ridiculously small :-(.

Try setting "ulimit -s 10000" or so in the script that launches the
postmaster.  Now that I look at it, the -d setting is on the miserly
side as well ...

            regards, tom lane