Re: make BufferGetBlockNumber() a macro - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: make BufferGetBlockNumber() a macro
Date
Re: make BufferGetBlockNumber() a macro  (Neil Conway <nconway@klamath.dyndns.org>)
List pgsql-patches
Neil Conway <nconway@klamath.dyndns.org> writes:
> C's information hiding is weak enough that you need to rely on the
> client programmer to exercise good judgement anyway;

This is not a good argument for making the hiding even weaker.  I still
object to this patch.

It would be interesting to try to understand *why* BufferGetBlockNumber
is showing up so high in your profile; AFAICS it is not called in any
paths where it'd be a bottleneck --- ie, there is other much more
expensive stuff in the same code paths.  Do you have call counts by
caller?  What exactly was the test case, anyway?

            regards, tom lane