Re: idle connection timeout ... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: idle connection timeout ...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
>     just went through the new config files for v7.3, to make sure, but
> it doens't look like we have such ... has anyone looked at adding a 'idle
> timeout' for a postgres process?  Or am I missing something in the docs?

Are you looking for the backend to arbitrarily disconnect from a client
that hasn't done anything in X amount of time?  Seems to me that has
been proposed and rejected, more than once.

We already have logic that checks for loss of connectivity (see TCP
keepalive option).  If the client is *still there*, but has just not
chosen to issue any commands lately, I have a very hard time buying
any argument that it is the backend's province to abort the connection.
That's a recipe for degrading reliability, not improving it.