Re: looping on NEW and OLD in a trigger - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: looping on NEW and OLD in a trigger
Date
List pgsql-general
"Michael P. Soulier" <michael_soulier@mitel.com> writes:
> I'm very new to writing postgres procedures, and I'm trying to loop over
> the fields in the NEW and OLD variables available in an after trigger,
> and I can't quite get the syntax correct.

If you're trying to do this in plpgsql, the answer is you can't.
plpgsql doesn't support dynamic field references, which is what you'd
need for what (I think) you're trying to do.

You can do it in pltcl or plperl, and probably also plpython though
I don't know enough python to be sure.

            regards, tom lane