Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql-server/src backend/tcop/postgres.cbacke - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql-server/src backend/tcop/postgres.cbacke
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net> writes:
> ... just for the record I'm with the "don't
> use an environment variable" crowd here, too. It's way, way to easy
> to start up with the wrong setting in your environment.

What he said ...

> Oh, and yes, it does need to be changable after an initdb. Say you
> start out with only one disk on your system, but add a second disk
> later, and want to move the log to that?

Sure, there should be *a* way to do that.  It does not have to be as
easy as "change an environment variable".  And in fact the primary
objection to this patch is exactly that it is *not* as easy as "change
an environment variable" --- what you get if you just change your
environment variable is not a moved xlog, but a broken database.
Possibly an irredeemably broken database.