Re: ecpg compile error on AIX - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: ecpg compile error on AIX
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Shouldn't the set of warnings at least be the same on all
> platforms (at least those with the same integer size) or does it just warn
> if there would actually be a problem on that platform?

In fact, the GCC manual makes it pretty clear that the check is machine
dependent:

`-Wcast-align'    Warn whenever a pointer is cast such that the required alignment    of the target is increased.  For
example,warn if a `char *' is    cast to an `int *' on machines where integers can only be accessed    at two- or
four-byteboundaries.

I suppose this means that we'd better run test compilations on Alphas
(or some other 8-byte-long environment) too, whenever we try to turn
on -Wcast-align.